Former Cistercian Abbey
Our establishment is an authentic Cistercian abbey from the 12th century.
In 1131, it was founded by Etienne Harding, third abbot of Cîteaux, the mother church of the religious order that was to extend its influence over all of Europe.
Our church was consecrated in 1172 and, from then on, many monks occupied this little corner of Burgundy. Around the church and over the centuries, therefore, were built a cellar, crypt, cloister, refectory, farmhouse, dovecote, outhouses, wine press, monastic dwellings, etc.
The Abbaye de la Bussière was at its peak at the end of the 13th century. Throughout its existence, this monastic unit suffered successive destructions and reorganizations until it was sold as a national property asset in 1793 (excluding the church which had become the parish church in 1791). The monks were then forced to leave the premises.
At the end of the 19th century, the Baron d’Oissel undertook to renovate the premises. At that time, he called upon the architect Charles Suisse to redevelop the existing buildings in a neo-gothic style and also to create new ones.
In 1921, the Baron’s heiress, the Marquise de Ségur, donated the estate to the bishopric of Dijon to make of it a place of spiritual retreat.
Some years later, the buildings were granted by the bishopric to the Association of the Friends of La Bussière, before being sold in 2005 to an English couple who had the idea of transforming the Abbaye into a hotel.